Eleven civilians, including a woman and six children, have been killed in a roadside bombing in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province, on the second day of parliamentary elections.
Attaullah Khugyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said that the victims had been inside a station wagon that went over the bomb in the Momand Dara area of Achin district.
No one immediately claimed the attack.
The Taliban and an Islamic State affiliate are both active in Nangarhar. Afghan civilians are often killed by roadside bombs intended to target security forces.
Twenty-seven civilians and 11 Afghan security forces were killed and more than 100 others wounded in nearly 200 attacks across the country on Saturday.
This is the first time the Afghan government has been responsible for security during an election since NATO ended its combat operations in the country in 2014.
Polling on Sunday continues in 401 voting centres, including 45 in Kabul. Polls close at 4pm (1030 AEDT Monday). Results will be announced next month.
Independent Elections Commission Chairman Abdul Badi Sayat says over three million people out of 8.8 million registered voters cast their ballots on Saturday.