Coronavirus has infected Paolo Maldini, AC Milan director and his son Daniel as they both test positive.
Both Paolo and 18-year-old forward Daniel who made his first-team Milan debut last month have spent the last two weeks in quarantine and will continue to remain in isolation, the Serie A club said in a statement.
“AC Milan confirms that Paolo Maldini, the club’s technical director, became aware of contact with a person who subsequently tested positive for Coronavirus and began to display symptoms of the virus himself,” the club said.
“He was administered with a swab test yesterday (Friday), the result of which was positive. His son Daniel, a forward in AC Milan’s youth team who had previously been training with the first team, also tested positive.
“Paolo and Daniel are both well and have already completed two weeks at home without contact with others. They will now remain in quarantine until clinically recovered, as per the medical protocols outlined by the health authorities.”
Italy has recorded more than 50,000 coronavirus cases. The death toll in the country is approaching 5,000, making it the worst-affected nation in the world by the virus.
Almost 20 Serie A players have tested positive for coronavirus, including Juventus trio Paulo Dybala, Blaise Matuidi and Daniele Rugani, as well as Sampdoria and former Southampton striker Manolo Gabbiadini.
Paolo Maldini is an icon of the Italian game, having won seven league titles and five European Cups with AC Milan in addition to making the most Serie A appearances (647) of any outfield player in the history of the competition.