David Beckham has been banned for driving for six months for using his mobile phone while driving his Bentley in London’s West End.
The football star, 43, previously pleaded guilty to using the device while driving in Great Portland Street, after being spotted by a member of the public on November 21.
His case was initially considered at Bromley Magistrates’ Court last month, through an administrative process known as a single justice procedure, which is not open to the press or public.
Beckham, who appeared in the same court wearing a dark grey suit and tie, was told by District Judge Catherine Moore that he would be disqualified as she gave him six additional points to the six he already had for previous speeding matters.
The star stood in court to say his full name, date of birth and his west London address.
Prosecutor Matthew Spratt said Beckham was photographed by a member of public as he drove in “slowly moving” traffic while holding a phone.
He said: “Instead of looking straight forward, paying attention to the road, he appeared to be looking at his lap.”
He added: “He (the witness) says that the defendant was operating a handheld device at knee level. At that moment a photograph was taken.
“The defendant was holding the mobile phone in the upright position.”
Gerrard Tyrrell, mitigating, said his client was travelling slowly and has “no recollection of the day in question or this particular incident”.
Beckham was also fined £750, ordered to pay £100 to prosecution costs and a £75 surcharge fee within seven days.