The Duke of Edinburgh has surrendered his driving licence, after being involved in a crash and then being spotted behind the wheel without a seat belt.
Philip, 97, voluntarily gave up his credentials on Saturday, Buckingham Palace said.
He apologized for his part in an accident on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk when his Land Rover Freelander collided with another car last month, leaving two women needing hospital treatment.
Some 48 hours after the crash he was pictured driving without a seatbelt, prompting criticism.
A statement from Buckingham Palace said: “After careful consideration, the Duke of Edinburgh has taken the decision to voluntarily surrender his driving licence.”
He surrendered his licence on Saturday, a spokeswoman added.
Philip’s driving woes began when his car flipped over after he pulled out into a busy A road and collided with a Kia, carrying a nine-month old boy, his mother and another passenger.
He escaped injury, but passenger Emma Fairweather broke her wrist and called for the duke to be prosecuted if he was found to be at a fault.
In a letter dated January 21, Philip wished her a “speedy recovery” and said he “failed to see the car coming”, the Sunday Mirror reported.
He blamed the low, bright sun for obscuring his vision, adding he was “very contrite about the consequences”.