In Iran, the decision to reopen the mosques was made in consultation with the ministry of health, IRIB quoted Mohammad Qomi, the director of the Islamic Development Organization, as saying.
The move comes even though some parts of the country have seen a rise in infections.
Tasnim news agency reported on Sunday that a county in southwestern Iran had been placed under lockdown to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus. It also quoted the governor of Khuzestan province, where the county is located, as saying there had been a sharp rise in new cases across the province.
Last Friday, prayer gatherings resumed in up to 180 Iranian cities and towns seen as being at low risk of Coronavirus contagion after a two-month suspension, state media reported.
The resumption of Friday prayers still banned in the capital Tehran and some other major cities followed the reopening last Monday of 132 mosques in areas consistently free of the virus.
Schools will reopen next week, President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday, according to the official presidency website.
Iran has already lifted a ban on inter-city trips and malls, with large shopping centres resuming activities.
The total number of Iran’s coronavirus deaths rose by 45 in the past 24 hours to 6,685, Health Ministry spokesman Kianush Jahanpur said in a statement on state TV. The total number of diagnosed cases in the country has reached 109,286.
Iran, one of the countries in the Middle East hit hardest by the novel coronavirus, has begun easing restrictions on normal life in order to keep afloat its economy, already battered by U.S. sanctions. Health officials have repeatedly warned, however, that easing restrictions could lead to a renewed spike in the number of infections.
You may also like
France President Macron Says Russia Must Answer For War Crimes In Bucha Ukraine
Seven Countries Jointly Call On Taliban To Ensure Rights
Two Russian soldiers killed and 28 ill ‘after being given poisoned food by Ukrainian civilians’
Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote, Gains extra $915 million to his wealth in Q1 2022
British ‘Tinder Swindler’ pleads guilty after woman scammed of £157,000