The man responsible for the death of UFC fighter Ryan Jimmo has been jailed for eight years in Canada.
Anthony Getschel was convicted on manslaughter charges and fleeing the scene after he intentionally ran the 34-year-old MMA star over with his truck on June 26, 2016, reports reveals.
Jimmo was struck with the vehicle outside an Edmonton sports bar after an alleged argument.
Police confirmed a confrontation between two drivers took place at around 2.15am in a car park outside a bar called the H2O Lounge.
One man was seen walking up to the opposing driver, who was in a black pick-up truck with another man, and when he walked away the vehicle accelerated and knocked him to the ground.
Getschel, 26, was sentenced to six years in prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter with an additional two years in prison for fleeing the scene.
He will not be allowed to drive for a further eight years following his release from prison.
At the time of the hit and run, Getschel hid his vehicle and told police that his licence plate had been stolen.
However, he turned himself into authorities 48 hours later.
He said: “I’m very sorry for the pain I caused.
“I know nothing I can say or do will bring him back.
“I will never be able to forgive myself for what happened that night.”
At the time of his death, the fighter’s heartbroken aunt, Sharon Jimmo said: “He was a people person, he loved everyone.
“He was so kind. He was a fighter but personally he was a great guy.
“Ryan would help anyone who would need it, he was just that kind of guy.
UFC boss Dana White also expressed his sadness at his former fighter’s passing. “He lived his life the way he wanted, he was happy-go-lucky,” he said.Jimmo’s finest moment in the Octagon was at UFC 149 in 2012 when he knocked out Anthony Perosh in just seven seconds.