New Zealand bans ‘military-style’ weapons after mosque attacks

New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern has announced an immediate ban on sales of “military-style” semi-automatic and automatic weapons like the ones used in the attacks on two mosques in Christchurch that killed 50 worshippers.

Similar photo

“Every semi-automatic weapon used in the terrorist attack on Friday will be banned,” she said.

Ms Ardern’s announcement comes less than a week after the killings, as more of the dead were being buried.

At least six funerals took place on Thursday, including for a teenager and a youth football coach.

Cashmere High School student Sayyad Ahmad Milne, 14, was known as an outgoing boy and the school’s futsal goalkeeper.

Tariq Rashid Omar, 24, graduated from the same school, played football in the summer and was a beloved coach of several youth teams.

In a post on Facebook, Christchurch United Football Club academy director Colin Williamson described Omar as “a beautiful human being with a tremendous heart and love for coaching”.

Linda Armstrong, 64, a third-generation New Zealander who converted to Islam in her 50s, was also buried, as were Hussein Mohamed Khalil Moustafa, 70, Matiullah Safi, 55, and Haji Mohammed Daoud Nabi.

Families of those killed had been awaiting word on when they could bury their loved ones.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said all 50 victims had been identified as of Thursday and their families were being notified.

Investigators also were trying to conclude their work at the two mosques.

“We are working to restore them in a way that is absolutely respectful,” he said.

Advertisements
Up to 80% off Flash Sale at Stylewe Under Armour Women's Charged Stunner Training Shoes at Proozy.com

Please Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: