Over 600 Nigerians will be voluntarily returning home according from South Africa according to head of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri.
The first news of repatriation was from a local airline, Air Peace which made the offer last week. Its plans were impacted by lack of documentation of beneficiaries. The embassy stepped in to provide necessary papers.
The first batch are expected to leave on two flights on Wednesday, Nigeria’s Consul General in Johannesburg, Godwin Adama, told the BBC.
Only those who were under distress as a result of the attacks would leave the country, he added. The government via president Buhari also issued a statement for voluntary repatriation of all Nigerians living in South Africa.
Ms Dabiri has also called for the South African government to pay compensation to victims of the xenophobic violence that has so far claimed a dozen lives. Lawmakers in Nigeria’s lower chamber have also said they will push for compensation.
September 8, 2019: Fresh violence erupts in Johannesburg
At least two people have died and dozens arrested following fresh xenophobic attacks in South Africa’s Johannesburg city on Sunday.
Local Eyewitness News reported that a group of men had raided the city’s central business district on Sunday morning, demanding that foreigners leave the area.
The city’s police chief David Tembe confirmed that two people had died from gun shot wounds and stabbing, adding that cars, buildings and businesses had been vandalised.
“I think this is pure criminality because some of the shops that were burned did not belong to the foreigners, it belonged to South Africans,’‘ Tembe said.